Grade & Salary: £54,011 - £58,961 (Grade 9)
Post number: 202695
Type of contract: Permanent
Work pattern: Full time, 37 hours. The post holder will also be required to undertake the role of Telemetry Duty Officer. This is a rota’d duty officer role, on standby duty, 24/7, approximately one week in every eight and requires out of hours working to respond to any system or other incidents affecting the telemetry service.
Closing date: 2 April 2023
Benefits: Civil Service pension, 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days over 5 years, flexible working options, occupational health including counselling and advisory services and eye care, childcare vouchers and salary sacrifice schemes.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our National Hydrometry and Telemetry team and lead the development and maintenance of our business critical Telemetry services.
Our Telemetry service underpins our flood and water management services by providing critical near real-time data, alarms and intelligence to enable us to monitor, forecast and warn of flooding. It also provides river flow data critical to our management of water resources including reservoir regulation schemes, drought management and pollution response.
As our principal role leading the telemetry system and services, you will lead the future planning, development and management of NRW’s telemetry system, and service, with an immediate focus on supporting implementation of our £5 million in-flight Telemetry replacement project. As our specialist technical expert, you will lead for all aspects of telemetry in NRW from field communications through to main system functionality and provision of near-real time data to internal and external customers via our API data portal.
You will work in a team which is responsible for the policy, strategy, data and systems which enable Natural Resources Wales to ensure that hydrometric data is available to those who need it, when they need it, to an agreed level of accuracy and resilience.
You will work with colleagues from other teams across NRW and partner organisations including the Met. Office, Water companies, and the other UK Monitoring Authorities. Part of your role will be working to understand customer needs and manage a system which is efficient, consistent and at times innovative as we look to use Telemetry for new challenges associated with our response to the climate and nature emergencies. You will get to work with experienced specialists from across our organisation including flood risk management, water resources and hydrology, hydrometry, fisheries, water quality, ICT and digital communications to deliver Telemetry services for an organisation with a significant and world leading environmental remit.
The post holder in this role will be required to undertake the role of the Telemetry Duty Officer. This is a rota’d duty officer role, on standby duty, 24/7, approximately one week in every eight. These additional duties are eligible for standby and overtime payments.
Qualifications and Skills
1. Expert knowledge of telemetry and the complex range of drivers and potential challenges to effective delivery including experience of managing a wide-area telemetry / SCADA system.
2. In-depth and up to date advanced specialist knowledge and proven ability to deliver in the following technical areas:
3. Experience of building networks and relationships with partner organisations and agencies at a national and UK level and able to communicate with and influence people at all organisational levels, internally and externally.
4. Working in a programme and project management environment with Project Management experience and/or qualifications.
5. Pragmatic and forward thinking with an ability to innovate to develop solutions to complex issues.
6. Exercises sound judgement and willing to be held to account for decisions, actions and choices made personally thus instilling confidence and gaining respect.
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills.
To apply, please press the 'APPLY NOW' button below.