Contract Type: Permenant
Closing Date: 11/06/2023
Post Number: 202902
This lead specialist role sits within a closely working team, leading on and supporting team members to assess complex technical applications and legal requirements across a broad spectrum of industry sectors, making risk based decisions to produce robust enforceable permits.
You will be the main contact for complex permitting queries from both internal and external customers, as well as resolving any issues that arise from the permit application assessment process within your area of specialism.
You will have an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the Environmental Permitting Regulations and industrial processes and activities. They will have scientific skills that will allow analysis and interpretation of a wide range of highly complex information, ensuring policy, good practice guidance has been followed and legal standards have been met. They will be able to extract key points, identify organisational and reputational risks, be able to communicate confidently to interested parties at all levels, providing timely briefings for senior management when required.
You will be the lead expert for contentious applications of high public or political interest and represent Natural Resources Wales (NRW)’s Permitting Service at public meetings and events.
Qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required
1. Substantial experience of managing the assessment of highly complex, politically sensitive installation permit applications, including interaction with government organisations and members of the public, within your specialised area.
2. Substantial working knowledge of the technologies used and the environmental protection methodologies relevant to the Installations Permitting regime.
3. Advanced and specialist understanding of specific legislation and associated Directives and how they relate to the permitting process.
4. Proven coaching and mentoring skills.
5. Strong customer focussed approach to delivery.
6. You will be expected to keep up to date with changing regulatory policy and proposed changes to legislation via membership of a relevant professional body or other equivalent means.
· Agile and flexible working (role dependent)
· Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
· 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
· Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
· Health and wellbeing benefits and support
· Weekly well-being hour to use as you choose
For more information or to apply to this role, please press the 'APPLY NOW' button below.