Please note interviews for this role will be held on Friday 27th October.
Are you passionate about creating a cleaner and more sustainable future? Do you have extensive experience in waste management and a proven track record of leadership? We're seeking a dynamic and innovative individual to Lead and be responsible for all of Essex County Council’s Waste Disposal Authority (WDA) operations and deliver a cost-effective, and compliant service to the highest standards.
• 21 Recycling Centres and 5 Transfer Stations
• Closed landfill sites
• Key external waste disposal, treatment and haulage contracts
• Management of a team of over 200 staff
Identify and implement optimal changes to waste functions to ensure improved environmental benefits and cost efficiencies, whilst still protecting local services.
You can expect to be accountable for the following
• Operational management – safe and efficient day-to-day management of all recycling centres, transfer stations and haulage fleet
• Health and Safety - manage all health and safety issues in relation to the WDA services, always ensuring safety and compliance for officers, contractors and members of the public.
• Financial control – provide robust and financial management of all waste budgets (circa. £90m per annum), savings targets and forecasting requirements.
• Major procurements – provide support and expertise to existing procurements, advising on waste management practices and operational excellence.
• Closed landfill sites - ensure the closed landfill sites are managed in accordance with regulatory requirements and maximise any associated revenue.
• Contract management – work closely with the central contract management function to ensure that major contractors are compliant and delivering excellent levels of service.
• Line management – direct line management of 7 staff and overall responsibility for all (200+) waste operations staff. Ensuring at all times that these staff understand the priorities, objectives and policies of ECC’s WDA.
• Stakeholder Management – work closely with the 12 Waste Collection Authorities across Essex providing effective waste disposal and treatment directions.
• Project Management - undertake any assigned projects, ensuring that agreed outcomes are delivered on time, within budget and to the expected standard.
• A Chartered Waste Manager (MCIWM) with Extensive and demonstrable experience of senior waste service leadership
• Sound knowledge of current and emerging waste and resources policy and legislation
• In depth understanding of operational techniques and practices including recycling centre operations, waste transfer operations, waste treatment and disposal methods and experience managing complex waste related contracts
• Considerable experience of managing multi-million-pound budgets effectively and forecasting future budget requirements
• Experience in managing staff, with a commitment to staff development.
• Ability to communicate effectively to different audiences including members, directors, waste officers, operatives and the public
• Highly skilled in ensuring compliance with all environmental permitting and health and safety guidance and legislation relevant to the management of local authority collected wastes or equivalent
• Highly skilled in effectively managing waste contractors, ensuring value for money and delivering to time-scales
What You Will Receive In Return:
• Flexible Working ; You will be able to work from home 3-4 days per week. Visits to County Hall in Chelmsford and the aforementioned sites, particularly Colchester, would be expected c. 1-2 times per week to consult, engage and lead with the workforce.
• Generous holiday and special leave allowances (including the option to purchase extra holiday)
• Local Government Pension Scheme. View Key Facts and FAQ’s about the LGPS.
• Life Assurance of three times annual salary
• Volunteering leave (up to 4 days per year)
• Employee wellbeing and counselling
• Travel discounts & season ticket loans
• Healthcare and Dental Plans at corporate rates
• Cycle to Work through salary sacrifice
• Discounts and benefits at many local and national outlets including supermarkets, shopping, restaurants, technology purchases and holidays
• Discounts across Essex County Council’s businesses, including Country Park Membership, ACL and more
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.