Project Officer – Flood Management Grade 12 (37 hrs per week)
The Flood Management team has a variety of responsibilities to manage flood risk across the district. As a Project officer the main areas of work include:
- Undertaking the statutory consultee role providing technical advice on surface water drainage to the planning authority.
- Prepare and maintain a local flood risk management strategy.
- Work closely with emergency planning and recovery after a flood event.
- Carry out works to manage local flood risk
- Investigating flood incidents and identifying solutions
- Working with local communities and businesses to raise awareness of flood risk
- Maintain a register of drainage assets.
A Project Officer is required to manage specific areas of work, although there will also be opportunities to gain experience of all aspects of work in the team. The main duties will be:
- Provide technical advice (be a lead) on surface water flood risk to planning authority when reviewing planning applications. Attend committees to address Member or public concerns.
- Commission and manage the performance of technical consultants using the NEC-ECC Professional Services Contract.
- Support management in developing and maintain flood risk policies and local strategies in line with national policy and industry best practice.
- Play a leading role in emergency planning in delivering the Pre-Flooding Operation Plan and Community Recovery Framework after a flood event.
- Review and approve consents to changes to ordinary watercourses and enforcing obligations to maintain flow.
- Provide technical support to the ER Project Manager in assessing flood risk and drainage solutions.
- Develop and implement an engagement programme with local members, residents and businesses to raise awareness of flood risk and the responsibilities for management of the risk
- Have the competence to use IT systems including, Microsoft Office suite, GIS based mapping systems, and an understanding of Micro Drainage outputs.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate an understanding of current flood management responsibilities in a local authority environment and have experience of the duties described above. Consideration may also be given to candidates who can offer broad technical experience in a similar field and can demonstrate an interest in developing a career in flood risk management.
To apply for this job please go to our jobs website, create and create an account by clicking here.